Sackville House was rescued from decay in 1919 by Geoffrey Webb, a stained-glass artist and uncle of Sir Aston Webb, the architect. His daughter, Ursula, left it to us, with the wish that it be kept as a dwelling.
The house was built around 1525 as a four bay continuous jetty house with the original wagon way giving access to the rear. Behind the house, and detached from it for reasons of fire safety, was probably a two bay kitchen, of which part of the last bay overlooking the garden still survives. As a continuous jetty house, the ground floor would never have been open to the roof, and it probably consisted of a two bay hall with the buttery and pantry service rooms off one end.
Come along to these free open days and learn more about the house, its history and the most recent restoration efforts funded by the Culture Recovery Fund.
Please note there is no parking at this building - please park on the street or in the local car parks. It is possible to drop those with limited mobility outside the building and then return your cars to one of the car parks.